Congress backs Khurshid, says he answered all allegations
New Delhi: The Congress Monday backed Law Minister Salman Khurshid terming him an "important minister of UPA-II", and said he has "answered" all allegations of financial impropriety levelled against him by activist Arvind Kejriwal.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said Khurshid at his press conference Sunday "explained everything... I don`t think there is anything (more) to be said."
She said Khurshid announced he was taking the "legal way forward" against the India Against Corruption outfit of Kejriwal for alleging financial embezzlement by him and his wife Louise Fernandes with regard to their trust - the Zakir Husain Memorial Trust.
"There is no question of isolating him or not backing him... He is an important member of UPA-2. He has a reputation that he should be proud of and a legacy..." she told reporters after Kejriwal at a rally Monday produced "more evidence" against Khurshid to back his charges.
Khurshid, notably, is the son of Khurshid Alam Khan, former external affairs minister and governor of Karnataka, and maternal grandson of Zakir Hussain, the third president of India.
Soni said Monday that the Uttar Pradesh government led by Samajwadi Party leader Akhilesh Yadav was looking into the charges, and added that Khurshid "is a colleague and my friend".
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, who accompanied Soni, also said that "there was no question of the government distancing itself" from Khurshid.
Soni said that the social welfare ministry had praised the Khurshid-run trust for its work and that it was getting funds from the ministry.
Soni alleged that Kejriwal was levelling charges and "changing them by the hour".
The information and broadcasting minister`s support follows that of Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh, who said Khurshid has already replied to the allegations of embezzlement of funds.
Singh questioned how a draft report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG), alleging that Rs.71 lakh was embezzled by the NGO run by the Khurshids, was leaked to the media.
"It is surprising how the CAG report, before being tabled in parliament, is leaked to the media. Especially if the report is against the Congress, it reaches the media before parliament. It should be probed who is leaking the reports," he said.
Singh said sarcastically that all probes ought to be handed over to IAC leader Kejriwal: "It`s like saying there is no account or document, but what Kejriwal is saying is true."
The Congress leader also defended Khurshid`s anger at the press conference Sunday. "When an innocent person is attacked without proof, he will be angry, that is natural," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow