Congress backs Rahul on `Modi responsible for Gujarat riots`
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: As expected, the Congress has backed party vice president Rahul Gandhi`s allegation that Narendra Modi was responsible for the communal riots in Gujarat in 2002.
Rahul, in a television interview, alleged that Modi was responsible because he was Chief Minister of Gujarat at the time.
"The government in Gujarat was actually abetting and pushing the riots further," Gandhi said.
"The government in Gujarat was allowing the riots to happen," he added.
Firmly backing Rahul Gandhi, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh said, “...because of the Godhra incident wide ranging communal riots took place. I remember I was the CM of Madhya Pradesh and Ratlam, Jhabua are closer to Godhra than Ahmedabad but not a single incident took place.”
“What he (Rahul Gandhi) is saying is based on facts, no matter what Modi may say there is ample evidence of collusion between police, administration and rioters,” Singh added.
“I think the communal riots of Gujarat is one of the darkest blot in the history of India, the second blot was the Babri Masjid demolition where Modi was the chief organiser of LK Advani`s rath yatra and where the rath went riots followed,” Singh said, adding that all those who were responsible for Muzaffarnagar riots were honoured by Modi.
Gujarat Congress chief Arjun Modhwadia said, “Narendra Modi is the writer, director, actor and producer of 2002 riots.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'