Congress, BJP clash over marines’ return
New Delhi: Even though the two Italian marines retuned to India on Friday evening to face trial for killing two Indian fishermen last year while on anti-pirate duty, the issue triggered a war of words between Congress and the BJP on taking credit for the development.
The duel betweenthe two parties erupted shortly after the Italian government announced that the two marines facing trial for killing two Indian fishermen would arrive in India today.
As soon as the news of Italian marines` return came in, the Congress went into self-praise mode, but the BJP too wanted to have its share.
On Thursday night, Minister of State for Home RPN Singh tweeted, "India`s tough stand as articulated by the PM and Sonia Gandhi has worked."
And on Friday, he said: "The government and the SC worked together and this is a fallout of it...The opposition should congratulate the government".
Speaking to reporters this morning, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said, "Diplomacy has worked where many experts had it written off". The minister will share developments taken place between the two nations in Parliament today.
The BJP, however, said that the Italian marines` return was a result of combined efforts of the Opposition, the Supreme Court and the government. "Must say the combined effort of the Opposition to persuade the government to carry on its diplomacy seems to have worked. The tough stand taken by the Supreme Court also had its impact," BJP leader Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
However, Congress was quick to reject the BJP`s stance. "The BJP has got nothing to do with this. It is the tough stand of the govt that has worked," said Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Planning Rajeev Shukla.
Congress’ Lok Sabha member and chairman of the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) PC Chacko also hailed the return of the two marines as "a complete success for Indian diplomacy & credit also goes to SC".
The marines -- Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone -- had been allowed by the court on February 22 to leave India to vote in Italian national elections, with the promise that they would return in four weeks to face trial.
Italy`s refusal to send back the two marines had caused a political storm in India with opposition parties slamming the government for its handling of the issue.
The Italian marines were on anti-pirate duty aboard cargo ship Enrica Lexie off India`s coast in Kerala last year in February when they shot the two fishermen, mistaking them to be pirates.
Italy insists the shooting happened in international waters and New Delhi does not have jurisdiction over the matter.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM