Congress, BJP clash over rescue efforts in Uttarakhand
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday sought to differentiate Rahul Gandhi`s visit to flood-hit Uttarakhand from that of Narendra Modi, saying he is not going for "photo- ops" even as it faced BJP attack for deriding the Gujarat Chief Minister`s rescue efforts.
"He (Rahul) is not going for photo-ops. He is not sort of claiming like Modi that he rescued many people there," AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh said.
Criticising Modi for his visit to the flood-hit state, Singh said he should not "lie" he has saved 15,000 people.
"It is strange that the Army, the Air Force, paratroopers are all engaged in rescue operations day and night and this man (Modi) comes in and claims he has rescued 15,000 people. Don`t lie so much Mr Modi, the people aren`t that stupid."
Congress leaders and Union ministers have ridiculed Modi`s visit to Uttarakhand and his claim that he had helped in evacuating 15,000 Gujaratis in two stays with the party also saying he was trying to be a "Rambo" and was making the trip for "photo-ops".
But BJP president Rajnath Singh hit back at Congress for attacking Modi`s rescue efforts and said no politics should be played on such a sensitive issue.
"As far as the calamity in Uttarakhand is concerned, I would like to say that no political party should do any politics. If a Chief Minister or any political party wants to help the victims of the Uttarakhand incident then I feel this help should be accepted," Singh told reporters.
"Any politics being done on the issue by the Congress is condemnable," Singh said.
On the other hand, Congress leaders hailed the visit of Rahul to the flood-affected regions of the hill state, after the party Vice-President came under attack mainly from opposition BJP for not rushing back from his trip abroad when massive floods hit the hill state on June 16.
Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray also took a swipe at the Congress, saying "People want to know where were Rahul Gandhi and other big leaders.
Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary yesterday said that Rahul Gandhi is not going there as a VIP.
"He is going there as a citizen, as the vice president of Congress to oversee that the relief materials reach in place. Rahul did not say `I am a Rambo and I did this and I did that,`" she said.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Sachin Tendulkar accepts IOA's invitation to become India's Goodwill Ambassador for upcoming Rio Olympics
- IPL 2016: Gujarat Lions vs Delhi Daredevils - Possible XI, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- Fed up of repeated ads on odd-even featuring Arvind Kejriwal? Watch this viral video slamming Delhi CM
- Sensex slumps 232 points; Nifty cracks below 7,800-mark
- Govinda took Dawood Ibrahim's help to defeat me in 2004 Lok Sabha polls: Ram Naik