Congress, BJP lock horns over Lata Mangeshkar`s support for Modi
New Delhi: The Congress Party on Saturday said legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar`s support for Narendra Modi, who is leading the BJP`s campaign as its prime ministerial candidate, has no political significance.
Congress spokesperson Meem Afzal said the veteran singer has prayed for Modi and there can be no restriction on offering prayers.
"But I want to say that her remark in political terms should not be considered significant. She has served as member of Rajya Sabha for six years and in these six years in which there are 2190 days, she never spoke in the Parliament. From this, you can make out how much interested she is in politics," he added.
Communist Party of India (CPI) leader Atul Kumar Anjan echoing similar sentiments said Mangeshkar is unacquainted with Indian history and politics so her remark does not hold strong.
"She is the nightingale but she is not aware of Indian history and politics. She might have made such a remark out of love for Modi," said Anjan.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), however, claimed that today there is only one voice of the people and the country, which is Modi and the ruling of the NDA.
"Today the country is united and the government is working without any shame for their incompetent policies. Unless and until the ruling government becomes aware of this reality it cannot become popular among the masses," said BJP vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi .
Lata Mangeshkar yesterday backed Modi for the country`s top job.
"Narendrabhai is like my brother. All of us want to see him become the Prime Minister. On the auspicious occasion of Diwali, I hope our wishes would come true," she said at a function in Pune after Modi inaugurated a super-speciality hospital named after the singer`s father Deenanath Mangeshkar.
Modi returned her compliment with lavish praise.
"With their (Mangeshkar family) divine voices, delighted crores of people making them stress-free with music and making their minds and bodies healthy," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it