Congress, BJP war of words over Leader of Opposition continues
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: A war of words continued between the Congress and the BJP on Saturday over the issue of Leader of Opposition, amid reports that the former may even go to court if denied the post by the Speaker of the Lok Sabha.
The Congress party failed to win minimum 10 percent seats in the Lok Sabha elections in order to stake claim to the LoP post.
However, the party is demanding that the same be awarded to it as it has emerged as the largest opposition party.
The Congress is even arguing that the opposition coalition UPA has won the minimum required 55 seats, so it becomes automatic claimant to the LoP post.
The leader of Congress in Lok Sabha, Mallikarjun Kharge, today said: “LoP issue is dependent on Lok Sabha Speaker, she can do it if they want. We will discuss the issue at party meet.”
Earlier in the morning, senior Congress leader Rashid Alvi said that the 10 percent rule isn`t hard and fast. “The government should recognize the Leader of Opposition,” he added.
The BJP, however, is in no mood to concede the post to the Congress.
“Congress should give up this hue and cry about seats and introspect what is right and wrong. They are reaping what they sowed,” senior BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
Another BJP leader Subramanian Swamy said, “The requisite for the post of LoP is clear - Congress needs 55 seats. They can go to court but they will just be embarrassed.”
Reports have so far claimed that Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan is likely to decide on the matter by Monday, the day when the Budget Session of Parliament starts.
It is believed that she will strictly go by the rule book and is unlikely to rule in Congress` favour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing