Congress casual on Lokpal: BJP
New Delhi: Minutes after Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal announced that the Parliament would debate on Jan Lokpal on Saturday, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj, on Friday claimed the government actually wanted to hold the debate on Monday.
According to Swaraj, Bansal told the BJP that the government has not made up its mind on the issue.
Slamming the government for its casual attitude, the government informed the BJP at 2:10 pm about the Lokpal debate at 2:30 pm.
Backing Jan Lokpal Bill with amendments, the BJP wants debate under rules for voting.
Lokpal must have powers to punish redressal mechanism violators, the BJP said, adding all central govt employees should be covered under Lokpal.
The BJP has also underlined the need for independent selection of the nine members of the Lokpal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Asafa Powell fills Usain Bolt`s shoes and targets personal best