Congress casual on Lokpal: BJP
New Delhi: Minutes after Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal announced that the Parliament would debate on Jan Lokpal on Saturday, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj, on Friday claimed the government actually wanted to hold the debate on Monday.
According to Swaraj, Bansal told the BJP that the government has not made up its mind on the issue.
Slamming the government for its casual attitude, the government informed the BJP at 2:10 pm about the Lokpal debate at 2:30 pm.
Backing Jan Lokpal Bill with amendments, the BJP wants debate under rules for voting.
Lokpal must have powers to punish redressal mechanism violators, the BJP said, adding all central govt employees should be covered under Lokpal.
The BJP has also underlined the need for independent selection of the nine members of the Lokpal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet