Congress casual on Lokpal: BJP
New Delhi: Minutes after Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal announced that the Parliament would debate on Jan Lokpal on Saturday, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj, on Friday claimed the government actually wanted to hold the debate on Monday.
According to Swaraj, Bansal told the BJP that the government has not made up its mind on the issue.
Slamming the government for its casual attitude, the government informed the BJP at 2:10 pm about the Lokpal debate at 2:30 pm.
Backing Jan Lokpal Bill with amendments, the BJP wants debate under rules for voting.
Lokpal must have powers to punish redressal mechanism violators, the BJP said, adding all central govt employees should be covered under Lokpal.
The BJP has also underlined the need for independent selection of the nine members of the Lokpal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- LeT chief Lakhvi`s son was gunned down by Indian troops in Kashmir: David Headley