Congress celebrates 126th foundation day
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday celebrated its
126th foundation day with its chief Sonia Gandhi unfurling the
party tricolour at a function here.
On a rain swept morning, top Congress leaders
including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, his Cabinet
colleagues and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit assembled
at the party headquarters where Gandhi hoisted the flag amidst
singing of inspirational songs.
For Gandhi and Singh, 2010 had been tough politically
with the party and the government led by it facing sustained
opposition attack over a slew of corruption charges relating
to 2G spectrum and Commonwealth Games.
The party had last week held a plenary session here
which also marked the completion of 125 years of the
Among those who attended the function were Union
ministers Pranab Mukherjee, AK Antony, S Jaipal Reddy, Kapil
Sibal, GK Vasan, Kantilal Bhuria, Vayalar Ravi, Sachin Pilot
and senior leaders RK Dhawan and ML Fotedar.
Singh and Gandhi distributed sweets to children who
had joined the function at the party headquarters.
The Indian National Congress was founded in 1885 by
Englishman Allan Octavio Hume, a noted ornithologist and a
civil servant in British India.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India