Congress core group discusses food bill
New Delhi: The Congress core committee met here Friday to discuss the ways to pass the food security bill, said party sources.
According to sources, it was decided that Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and Food Minister KV Thomas will hold consultations with opposition parties to evolve a consensus on the bill. If that happens, the government would call a special session to pass the bill, said the sources.
The meeting comes a day after the cabinet deferred the food bill ordinance and opted to pass it in parliament. The bill, which aims to provide subsided foodgrains to 67 percent of India`s population, is the flagship welfare legislation of the UPA government and could prove to be a game changer in the 2014 polls.
According to the sources, the core group also reviewed the current political situation including the strained ties between the Janata Dal-United and the Bharatiya Janata Party in Bihar and the talks of a federal front formation among the regional parties.
The long-pending party reshuffle was also touched upon, said the sources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray