Congress core group discusses Telangana issue
New Delhi: Amid signs of the Telangana
agitation turning more serious in the coming days, Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi
grappled with the separate statehood issue this evening.
A meeting of the Congress Core Group, headed by Gandhi
was also attended by AICC General Secretary Ghulam Nabi Azad
who is the in-charge of party affairs in Andhra Pradesh,
dealing directly with those favouring and opposing separate
The meeting of the Congress top brass, which included
Home Minister P Chidambaram and Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee, was held on a day when the Telangana political
Joint Action Committee (JAC) threatened to launch a strike
from August one if the Centre failed to take steps for the
formation of a separate state by then.
Incidentally, the Monsoon Session of Parliament is
also starting from August one.
There was no official word on what transpired at the
meeting which lasted over an hour and was held against the
backdrop of the terror attacks in Mumbai.
At the AICC briefing, party spokesman Shakeel Ahmad
steered clear of several questions on the Telangana issue
saying it was a sensitive matter and an emotional issue.
Azad had recently said that the Telangana issue cannot
move an "inch" without the Andhra Pradesh Assembly passing a
Azad`s remarks on the Srikrishna Commission report
during a recent visit to Beijing had triggered a furore. He
had reportedly said that the Commission recommendations were
not a solution and the Telangana debate needed to be started
from a scratch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video