Congress core group discusses Telangana issue
New Delhi: Amid signs of the Telangana
agitation turning more serious in the coming days, Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi
grappled with the separate statehood issue this evening.
A meeting of the Congress Core Group, headed by Gandhi
was also attended by AICC General Secretary Ghulam Nabi Azad
who is the in-charge of party affairs in Andhra Pradesh,
dealing directly with those favouring and opposing separate
The meeting of the Congress top brass, which included
Home Minister P Chidambaram and Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee, was held on a day when the Telangana political
Joint Action Committee (JAC) threatened to launch a strike
from August one if the Centre failed to take steps for the
formation of a separate state by then.
Incidentally, the Monsoon Session of Parliament is
also starting from August one.
There was no official word on what transpired at the
meeting which lasted over an hour and was held against the
backdrop of the terror attacks in Mumbai.
At the AICC briefing, party spokesman Shakeel Ahmad
steered clear of several questions on the Telangana issue
saying it was a sensitive matter and an emotional issue.
Azad had recently said that the Telangana issue cannot
move an "inch" without the Andhra Pradesh Assembly passing a
Azad`s remarks on the Srikrishna Commission report
during a recent visit to Beijing had triggered a furore. He
had reportedly said that the Commission recommendations were
not a solution and the Telangana debate needed to be started
from a scratch.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists