Congress core group discusses Telangana issue
New Delhi: Amid signs of the Telangana
agitation turning more serious in the coming days, Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi
grappled with the separate statehood issue this evening.
A meeting of the Congress Core Group, headed by Gandhi
was also attended by AICC General Secretary Ghulam Nabi Azad
who is the in-charge of party affairs in Andhra Pradesh,
dealing directly with those favouring and opposing separate
The meeting of the Congress top brass, which included
Home Minister P Chidambaram and Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee, was held on a day when the Telangana political
Joint Action Committee (JAC) threatened to launch a strike
from August one if the Centre failed to take steps for the
formation of a separate state by then.
Incidentally, the Monsoon Session of Parliament is
also starting from August one.
There was no official word on what transpired at the
meeting which lasted over an hour and was held against the
backdrop of the terror attacks in Mumbai.
At the AICC briefing, party spokesman Shakeel Ahmad
steered clear of several questions on the Telangana issue
saying it was a sensitive matter and an emotional issue.
Azad had recently said that the Telangana issue cannot
move an "inch" without the Andhra Pradesh Assembly passing a
Azad`s remarks on the Srikrishna Commission report
during a recent visit to Beijing had triggered a furore. He
had reportedly said that the Commission recommendations were
not a solution and the Telangana debate needed to be started
from a scratch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy