Congress core group discusses Telangana
New Delhi: Senior Congress leaders, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi, Saturday discussed the demands for separate statehood to Telangana in view of the approaching deadline, set by the central government, for a decision on the issue.
Informed sources said the issue was discussed at the Congress core committee meeting. They said the party may not take an immediate decision on the issue.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, who is in charge of party affairs in the state, had indicated earlier this week that a decision on Telangana could be delayed.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had said December 28 that the central government would take decision on the demand for carving Telangana out of Andhra Pradesh within a month.
Since Shinde`s announcement, Congress leadership has held talks with its leaders in Andhra Pradesh to arrive at a decision. However, its leaders are divided on regional lines.
Sources said Shinde could speak on the issue before his Dhaka visit Jan 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest