Congress core group discusses Telangana
New Delhi: Senior Congress leaders, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi, Saturday discussed the demands for separate statehood to Telangana in view of the approaching deadline, set by the central government, for a decision on the issue.
Informed sources said the issue was discussed at the Congress core committee meeting. They said the party may not take an immediate decision on the issue.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, who is in charge of party affairs in the state, had indicated earlier this week that a decision on Telangana could be delayed.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had said December 28 that the central government would take decision on the demand for carving Telangana out of Andhra Pradesh within a month.
Since Shinde`s announcement, Congress leadership has held talks with its leaders in Andhra Pradesh to arrive at a decision. However, its leaders are divided on regional lines.
Sources said Shinde could speak on the issue before his Dhaka visit Jan 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?