Congress core group discusses Telangana
New Delhi: Senior Congress leaders, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi, Saturday discussed the demands for separate statehood to Telangana in view of the approaching deadline, set by the central government, for a decision on the issue.
Informed sources said the issue was discussed at the Congress core committee meeting. They said the party may not take an immediate decision on the issue.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, who is in charge of party affairs in the state, had indicated earlier this week that a decision on Telangana could be delayed.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had said December 28 that the central government would take decision on the demand for carving Telangana out of Andhra Pradesh within a month.
Since Shinde`s announcement, Congress leadership has held talks with its leaders in Andhra Pradesh to arrive at a decision. However, its leaders are divided on regional lines.
Sources said Shinde could speak on the issue before his Dhaka visit Jan 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof