Congress core group meets on parliament logjam
New Delhi: Congress top brass on Friday met
for over two hours apparently to find a way out of the
continuing stalemate in Parliament over Opposition`s demand
for joint parliamentary committee to probe the 2G Spectrum
scam, which has paralysed proceedings for 11 days.
Party President Sonia Gandhi chaired the meeting,
which was attended by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA`s
trouble-shooter Pranab Mukherjee, Home Minister P Chidambaram,
Defence Minister A K Antony and Gandhi`s political secretary
After the core group meeting, the Prime Minister held
brief parleys with the Home Minister separately. However,
there was no official word on what transpired at the
Mukherjee had earlier held two rounds of talks with
the opposition leaders trying to find a solution to the logjam
Since Mukherjee`s meetings yielded no breakthrough,
the government intends to hold another meeting with them in
the next few days.
Sources in the government had earlier indicated that
they would keep exploring options to run Parliament smoothly
and meetings of top party leaders over the issue could be
taking place in this regard.
The government as well as Congress has so far ruled
out JPC. A Congress leader said on condition of anonymity that
it was "better to face criticism for not allowing JPC than
to face selective leaks and insinuation for two years".
The leader reasoned that in JPC there will be members
from different parties and there will be only politics over
Parliamentary Affairs Minister P K Bansal said "it is
not their (the Opposition) desire to unearth corruption. Their
only intention is to make a political battle and nothing
beyond. The issue of political battle needs to be fought
The government has so far also ruled out adjourning
the winter session of Parliament sine die before its schedule
on December 13.
The Core Group meeting today is also the first since
Bihar assembly polls threw up the worst-ever results for the
party in last 10 years. The party had to be content with four
out of the 243 seats it had contested.
The meeting comes a couple of days after a change of
guard in party-ruled Andhra Pradesh where N Kiran Kumar Reddy
has become the Chief Minister replacing K Rosaiah. The party
has also announced that there would be a Deputy Chief Minister
in the state from Telangana region.
Reddy is coming to Delhi tomorrow and will meet Sonia
Gandhi to finalise the names of those who will be inducted in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues