Congress Core Group meets to discuss Ramdev`s agitation
New Delhi: Congress top brass, including
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi,
are expected to deliberate, Thursday, on the situation arising out
of yoga guru Ramdev`s plans to go on a hunger strike on the
issue of black money here from June four.
A meeting of the Congress Core Group headed by Gandhi
has begun at PM’s residence, 7 Race Course Road, in the backdrop of apparent
differences between the party and the government over the way
the issue needed to be tackled.
The Core Group, which generally meets on Friday is
meeting a day ahead, reflecting the concern in the party and
the government over Ramdev`s plans.
Top Congress leaders and senior ministers, including
Pranab Mukherjee, A K Antony, P Chidambaram and Political
Secertary to Congress chief Ahmed Patel are part of the group
which decides on major policy issues.
Importantly, the Prime Minister and Sonia Gandhi held separate talks before the meeting of the entire Core Group.
Meanwhile, Baba Ramdev has cancelled a
press conference scheduled this evening in view of "serious
dialogue" with government.
His aides notified the media about the cancellation of
the press conference at Ramlila Maidan, where he is to sit on
fast from Saturday, saying the yoga guru would update the
media about "conclusive" outcome tomorrow.
Earlier in the day, Ramdev held a meeting with his
close associates here to finalise the strategy ahead of his
proposed June 4 hunger strike on black money issue and talks
with the government which wants him to call off the agitation.
The yoga guru maintained that he will go ahead with
the protest from June four.
A meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Political
Affairs was held a few days back to discuss Ramdev`s fast and
Singh had also written a letter to the yoga guru asking him
not to go ahead with the fast, promising him to find a
"practical and pragmatic" solution to tackle the issue of
Congress has distanced itself from the government`s
unprecedented step of sending four senior ministers to receive
Ramdev at the airport here in a bid to persuade him not to go
ahead with the protest saying it was "unnecessary" and the
party has "nothing to do" with it.
"The party is not at all related to this entire
exercise from here to the airport (ministers going to the
airport to receive the Yoga Guru)," top sources in the Congress
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly