Congress Core Group meets to discuss Ramdev`s agitation
New Delhi: Congress top brass, including
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi,
are expected to deliberate, Thursday, on the situation arising out
of yoga guru Ramdev`s plans to go on a hunger strike on the
issue of black money here from June four.
A meeting of the Congress Core Group headed by Gandhi
has begun at PM’s residence, 7 Race Course Road, in the backdrop of apparent
differences between the party and the government over the way
the issue needed to be tackled.
The Core Group, which generally meets on Friday is
meeting a day ahead, reflecting the concern in the party and
the government over Ramdev`s plans.
Top Congress leaders and senior ministers, including
Pranab Mukherjee, A K Antony, P Chidambaram and Political
Secertary to Congress chief Ahmed Patel are part of the group
which decides on major policy issues.
Importantly, the Prime Minister and Sonia Gandhi held separate talks before the meeting of the entire Core Group.
Meanwhile, Baba Ramdev has cancelled a
press conference scheduled this evening in view of "serious
dialogue" with government.
His aides notified the media about the cancellation of
the press conference at Ramlila Maidan, where he is to sit on
fast from Saturday, saying the yoga guru would update the
media about "conclusive" outcome tomorrow.
Earlier in the day, Ramdev held a meeting with his
close associates here to finalise the strategy ahead of his
proposed June 4 hunger strike on black money issue and talks
with the government which wants him to call off the agitation.
The yoga guru maintained that he will go ahead with
the protest from June four.
A meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Political
Affairs was held a few days back to discuss Ramdev`s fast and
Singh had also written a letter to the yoga guru asking him
not to go ahead with the fast, promising him to find a
"practical and pragmatic" solution to tackle the issue of
Congress has distanced itself from the government`s
unprecedented step of sending four senior ministers to receive
Ramdev at the airport here in a bid to persuade him not to go
ahead with the protest saying it was "unnecessary" and the
party has "nothing to do" with it.
"The party is not at all related to this entire
exercise from here to the airport (ministers going to the
airport to receive the Yoga Guru)," top sources in the Congress
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India