Congress Core group meets
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Friday held consultations with the party`s other senior leaders during which a range of issues, including Telangana statehood, were understood to have been discussed.
The consultations also came at a time when the party has become pro-active in formulating a tougher law to check crimes against woman in the wake of the barbaric South Delhi gangrape and murder incident that shook the nation.
With the presentation of the general budget as also the railway budget for 2013-14 not far away, the meeting could have also deliberated on the way ahead.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram, who is a member of the Core Group, was also present while Railway Minister PK Bansal as well Commerce Minister Anand Sharma were special invitees to the meeting which lasted for around 90-minutes.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde has already announced that a decision on Telangana will be announced within a week and Gandhi also held consultations on the issue yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack