Congress Core group meets
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Friday held consultations with the party`s other senior leaders during which a range of issues, including Telangana statehood, were understood to have been discussed.
The consultations also came at a time when the party has become pro-active in formulating a tougher law to check crimes against woman in the wake of the barbaric South Delhi gangrape and murder incident that shook the nation.
With the presentation of the general budget as also the railway budget for 2013-14 not far away, the meeting could have also deliberated on the way ahead.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram, who is a member of the Core Group, was also present while Railway Minister PK Bansal as well Commerce Minister Anand Sharma were special invitees to the meeting which lasted for around 90-minutes.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde has already announced that a decision on Telangana will be announced within a week and Gandhi also held consultations on the issue yesterday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!