Congress criticises Narendra Modi govt over Uttarakhand aid
New Delhi: Congress on Friday took a jibe at Narendra Modi government`s contribution of Rs two crore for flood-affected victims in Uttarakhand reminding it of the higher contribution made by other states.
Spokesperson Raj Babbar, however, caveated his response by saying that he was only trying to point out that "many neighbouring states are doing without talking about it (religion)."
He pointed out that Samajawdi Party-ruled Uttar Pradesh has given Rs 25 crore while Congress-ruled Haryana and Delhi and Congress-NCP ruled Maharashtra have given Rs 10 crore each for the flood victims. "Since you have pointed to the amount (given by Gujarat government, you yourself find an answer to it. This is a place which has all the four dhaams (pilgrim places of Hindu) where such a huge tragedy has happened.
"Who is the one who only takes the name of God? When they are giving money, they have to look at their conscience. Religion is crutches for them," Babbar told reporters when asked whether Gujarat`s contribution to flood-ravaged Uttarakhand was not less in comparison to the magnitude of the tragedy there.
He at the same time said he was not making any comment on who gave what as everybody contributed according to one`s capacity. "I have said this in response to a question that the neighbouring states are giving without talking about it (religion), while those who talk about it".
Babbar sought to downplay questions about Rahul Gandhi`s absence from the country as well as his no public response when such a tragedy has taken place in the country. "We are unnecessarily making it an issue. You have seen the conscience of the person (Modi), who is going there. What is important is that who is going for relief and rescue and who is going to shed crocodile tears.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31