Congress criticises Narendra Modi govt over Uttarakhand aid
New Delhi: Congress on Friday took a jibe at Narendra Modi government`s contribution of Rs two crore for flood-affected victims in Uttarakhand reminding it of the higher contribution made by other states.
Spokesperson Raj Babbar, however, caveated his response by saying that he was only trying to point out that "many neighbouring states are doing without talking about it (religion)."
He pointed out that Samajawdi Party-ruled Uttar Pradesh has given Rs 25 crore while Congress-ruled Haryana and Delhi and Congress-NCP ruled Maharashtra have given Rs 10 crore each for the flood victims. "Since you have pointed to the amount (given by Gujarat government, you yourself find an answer to it. This is a place which has all the four dhaams (pilgrim places of Hindu) where such a huge tragedy has happened.
"Who is the one who only takes the name of God? When they are giving money, they have to look at their conscience. Religion is crutches for them," Babbar told reporters when asked whether Gujarat`s contribution to flood-ravaged Uttarakhand was not less in comparison to the magnitude of the tragedy there.
He at the same time said he was not making any comment on who gave what as everybody contributed according to one`s capacity. "I have said this in response to a question that the neighbouring states are giving without talking about it (religion), while those who talk about it".
Babbar sought to downplay questions about Rahul Gandhi`s absence from the country as well as his no public response when such a tragedy has taken place in the country. "We are unnecessarily making it an issue. You have seen the conscience of the person (Modi), who is going there. What is important is that who is going for relief and rescue and who is going to shed crocodile tears.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org