Congress criticises RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat’s remarks on marriage
Jhabua (Madhya Pradesh): Madhya Pradesh unit of Congress on Monday strongly criticised RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat for his controversial remark on marriage, describing it as "derogatory" towards women.
"By stating that the institution of marriage is governed by a contract, Bhagwat has disrespected the very holy relationship," state Congress unit president Kantilal Bhuria told reporters here.
"The statement is derogatory towards women as in Hindu religion, marriage is considered to be a sacred thing and not a contract," Bhuria said.
He also said that the comparison of rape incidents by putting into context "Indian" and "Bharat" is also an attempt to divide the country and Congress strongly condemns it.
Referring to the recent controversial statement of state Industries Minister Kailash Vijaywargiya about women, Bhuria said that it has "exposed the real face of BJP among the people".
The minister was at the centre of a controversy over his remark that women must not cross their "Lakshman rekha" and remain within their limits.
He alleged that during the BJP`s nine year of rule, around 28,000 women were raped in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire