Congress defers brainstorming session
New Delhi: Apparently facing the heat on issues like corruption, Congress has deferred plans to hold a brainstorming session this month.
With Congress busy with the campaign to counter the Opposition parties in the wake of the Ramdev and Anna Hazare agitations, the conclave is now expected to take place sometime before the Winter session of Parliament, which begins
in November, party sources said.
As a series of state elections including in key Hindi state Uttar Pradesh are lined up next year, the Congress conclave is expected to generate new ideas that would get the organisation going while facing the challenges ahead.
The `Chintan Shivir`, which is likely to be held in party ruled Rajasthan, would provide an opportunity for mid-term appraisal of the UPA-II which completed two years in power last month.
The hill resort of Mount Abu, where Congress had held a meeting of party chief ministers about a decade back, is being talked about as the possible venue.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi had during the AICC Plenary here in December last year spoken about plans to hold such a conclave. She had said it would give the party an opportunity to refresh its perspectives on crucial national
issues and also review the functioning of the organisation.
"It will be an occasion to hear the voices of our colleagues, particularly the younger ones, to bring new energy to our thinking," she had said at the plenary.
Though the party wanted to hold the `Shivir` first in January and then later during the Budget session recess in March, it postponed the programme. With the election schedule for five states being announced, the Budget session was
truncated and the party got into election mode.
Since then there were indications that the conclave would be held before the Monsoon session, likely to be held from mid-July. This would be the first conclave since UPA came to power in 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in