Congress didn`t want to end poverty as it feared losing power: Modi
Mandsaur: Attacking Congress for "doing nothing for poor", BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi on Saturday said the ruling party, over generations never wanted to educate people and eliminate poverty as it was afraid of being stripped of power.
"Congress knows that the moment masses get educated their chairs will be in danger," Modi said, addressing a poll meeting here on the last day of the campaigning for the November 25 Assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh.
Targeting Nehru-Gandhi family, he said, "Why four generations of a family are saying the same thing (on poverty) but doing nothing for the people of the country."
Modi alleged that Congress is "not doing anything for the poor because it knows that if the country gets rid of poverty, they will be out of power."
"Whenever elections come, Congress keeps chanting in the name of poor. But they will do nothing (to remove it). If poverty goes, so will their chairs," he remarked.
The BJP leader recalled days of emergency and polls held in 1977 and urged "people to fight the elections".
"I can say after touring Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan that people are fighting these elections (this time)," he said.
Praising Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan for removing the BIMARU tag on MP, by launching a series of developmental programmes, Modi said, "I won`t talk of Gujarat. There are two governments, one in Madhya Pradesh and other Rajasthan. See the difference in their work and then decide for whom to vote."
Without naming Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh, Modi said ten years ago a person had done `Bantaadhar` (made it worse) of the state, but in the last ten years thing have changed.
Targeting Congress for its "groupism", Modi said an MP of this region (Meenakshi Natarajan) was locked by the warring factions of the party sometime back.
Modi claimed that according to his information the lock was opened only when Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi intervened.
Taking a dig at Digvijay without taking his name, he said a leader of the party these days is telling him about "decency in politics" but it can be recalled that the same person used inappropriate language for describing a local woman MP sometime back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow