Congress dig at Swamy after EC rejects plea
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday took a dig at Subramanian Swamy after the Election Commission rejected his petition for de-recognition of the Indian National Congress, saying it was surprised that the Janata Party chief had no idea about this legal position.
"That is the legal position. I am surprised that Swamy does not know. He is one who had claimed that he is a legal counsel and had fought so many cases," Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters here.
Swamy had sought de-recognition of Congress on the plea that it violated rules for registration by loaning Rs 90 crore to a company.
The Commission, after its full meeting, headed by CEC V S Sampath, dismissed the plea holding that it did not fall under any of the grounds specified for de-recognition of a political party.
Swamy had earlier alleged that the Indian National Congress headed by Sonia Gandhi be de-recognised by the Election Commission on the ground that the party had loaned over Rs 90 crore to a company named Associated Journals Private Limited, in violation of the guidelines and rules for registration as well as recognition of political parties.
"The ground urged by you seeking de-recognition of the party under reference in the present case does not fall under any of the grounds specified under the said paragraph 16A for such recognition," the Commission said in a letter to Swamy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested