Congress dig at Swamy after EC rejects plea
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday took a dig at Subramanian Swamy after the Election Commission rejected his petition for de-recognition of the Indian National Congress, saying it was surprised that the Janata Party chief had no idea about this legal position.
"That is the legal position. I am surprised that Swamy does not know. He is one who had claimed that he is a legal counsel and had fought so many cases," Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters here.
Swamy had sought de-recognition of Congress on the plea that it violated rules for registration by loaning Rs 90 crore to a company.
The Commission, after its full meeting, headed by CEC V S Sampath, dismissed the plea holding that it did not fall under any of the grounds specified for de-recognition of a political party.
Swamy had earlier alleged that the Indian National Congress headed by Sonia Gandhi be de-recognised by the Election Commission on the ground that the party had loaned over Rs 90 crore to a company named Associated Journals Private Limited, in violation of the guidelines and rules for registration as well as recognition of political parties.
"The ground urged by you seeking de-recognition of the party under reference in the present case does not fall under any of the grounds specified under the said paragraph 16A for such recognition," the Commission said in a letter to Swamy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends