Congress disapproves Ahmed`s remarks on Indian Mujahideen
New Delhi: Congress on Monday disapproved of the remarks of party General Secretary Shakeel Ahmed and party MP Rashid Masood that the 2002 Gujarat riots had led to the formation of terror outfit Indian Mujahideen (IM).
"It is not the party line as of now," spokesperson Renuka Choudhary told reporters here when asked about Ahmed`s tweet on the issue which led to a political controversy yesterday.
Her response was the same to a question about Masood`s similar remarks.
She, at the same time, attacked the Narendra Modi government in Gujarat for the riots saying the way a particular community was targeted has no parallel anywhere else.
"Whatever happened in Gujarat, the manner in which people of a particular community were killed, such an incident has not happened anywhere else," she said.
Ahmed had said yesterday on microblogging site Twitter that "Indian Mujahideen was formed after the Gujarat riots, says NIA in its charge sheet. Even now BJP and RSS will not desist from their communal politics?"
When contacted, the Congress General Secretary blamed the "communal politics of BJP for the chain reaction" on the issue of terror.
Hitting back, BJP said the remarks were "stupid" and "reprehensible" as the Pakistan links of such outfits were well known.
Deputy Leader of BJP in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad said it was a "desperate" Congress which was actually trying to communalise the political scenario and playing with national security as it had "no answers for all the wrongs" it had done.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video