Congress distances itself from Shinde remark on Hindu terrorism
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday distanced itself from Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s controversial remark on Hindu terrorism, saying terror should not be linked with any religion.
"Terrorism should not be linked with any religion. Congress does not see any connect between terrorism and any religion. The party has earlier also made it clear that terror has no religion or colour. Congress never uses word like saffron terror or Hindu terror," party general secretary Janardhan Dwivedi told reporters here.
Dwivedi`s comments came amid a raging political controversy over Shinde`s remarks at the AICC meeting at Jaipur on Sunday accusing BJP and RSS of conducting terror training camps and promoting "Hindu terrorism", setting off an angry reaction from the saffron parties which demanded an apology from Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Asked why the Home Minister used the word "Hindu terrorism", Dwivedi said "that must not have been the intention of the Home Minister. No Congress leader can say such thing with intention. Sometimes it happens that some words come out of the mouth of an individual unintentionally."
Dwivedi also recalled that saffron is also one of the colours in the national flag as well as in the party flag of Congress.
"How can we have an objection to the saffron colour. Kesaria has been part of old tradition of a large part of the country.
"Saffron is also one of the colours of our national flag as well as the flag of the Congress party...This dispute should be brought to an end now. It is not appropriate to blame Congress for this," he said.
Addressing the AICC meeting at Jaipur on Sunday, Shinde had said, "...We have got an investigation report that be it RSS or BJP, their training camps are promoting Hindu terrorism. We are keeping a strict vigil on all this".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it