Congress downplays Anna factor in Hisar loss
New Delhi: With it being almost certain that the Congress has lost the high-profile Hisar Lok Sabha bypoll, the party is at odds to explain the trouncing amid suggestions that Anna factor has worked against it.
Senior Congress leader and Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid dismissed any connect between Anna’s ‘don’t vote for Congress’ campaign and the party loss in Haryana. “I don’t think Hisar had voted for Congress even when they hadn’t heard of Anna…Hisar has always been a stronghold of Haryana based parties.”
However, it’s not just Hisar, the Congress has also lost bypolls in Maharashtra and Telangana.
In his first reaction to the poll setbacks suffered by the party, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said, “Party’s loss in elections is always a sad thing.”
“We shall have to analyse why we have lost the by-elections but it won’t be right to make a instant comment on it,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...