Congress draws up strategy to woo Dalit voters
New Delhi: As the party readies for Assembly polls in five states this year, Congress has decided to set up committees of AICC`s Scheduled Castes wing at panchayat levels on the line of its earlier `Aam Aadmi Ke Sipahi`.
Talking to reporters, newly-appointed chairman of the AICC Scheduled Castes wing, K Raju, said their priority was to identify and nurture leaders from the SC community and strengthen the Dalit voice within Congress.
"We will appoint a committee of three to five persons in each panchayat whose job it will be to hand hold the Dalits and bring to them the entitlements available under government schemes. They will act as a bridge between people and the government," he said.
There is a substantial population of Dalits in the poll-bound states of Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Rajasthan.
Dalits, once strong Congress supporters, had later shifted to mainly the Bahujan Samaj Party after Maywati became Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh in 2007.
BSP candidates, however, did not win by big margins in states other than UP and failed to secure good results in Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Punjab, Uttarakhand and Chhattisgarh.
It was believed that BSP had mainly eaten into the Congress vote base.
But now, with Mayawati out of power in UP, her pull is not so strong on Dalit votes outside UP. Hence, Congress has begun working on a concerted strategy to win back its Dalit base.
Raju said his wing would work on a four-pronged strategy for training the potential talent among Dalits for leadership,
The party would try to bring a Dalit voice to all forums in Congress and advocate pro-Dalit policies and programmes in Congress-ruled states and at the Centre, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened