Congress faction throws weight behind Rahul Gandhi, ridicules Priyanka
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Right after a faction of the Congress party demanded that Priyanka Gandhi should get a bigger role in the party, another section of partymen in Allahabad put up posters demanding more powers for Rahul Gandhi.
The posters in favour of Rahul were put up across Allahabad by a few Congress workers. It read, `Ab Chalegi Rahul Ki Aandhi, Rahul Hain Dusre Mahatma Gandhi, Priyanka Sambhalo Grahasti Ki Kaman, Rahul Gandhi Sambhalo Party Ki Kaman.` (Now, its turn for Rahul`s wave, he is the next Mahatma Gandhi. Priyanka should take care of household as Rahul needs to run the party.)
Earlier, speculation were also doing the rounds that Priyanka could formally join the party either in the capacity of a general secretary in the AICC or as the chief of UP Congress.
Voices within the Congress have grown louder ever since the party suffered a crushing defeat in the 2014 General Elections and different factions with the grand-old party have drummed support for different members of the Gandhi.
Congress spokesperson Shobha Oza had on Thursday said that the party wants all three members of Gandhi family to take leadership role, lending credence to the speculation.
"Everybody from all over India want that all members of Gandhi family should come in politics. We want that all three of them should take the leadership role in the party (Hum Chaahte Hain ki tinon party ki kamaan samhale)," Oza had said.
Sonia Gandhi currently holds the post of Congress president; while Rahul is the vice president.
On Wednesday, senior Congress leader and a Gandhi family loyalist Oscar Fernandes had said that Priyanka should have a more active role in the Congress" and that she should take up an "important responsibility".
When asked if Priyanka`s entry would not be treated as a vote of no-confidence in Rahul, he had said, "There is no comparison. Rahul is vice-president of the party, Sonia is president. Another member of the Gandhi family would strengthen the party." A few months ago, a top leader had indicated that Priyanka`s role would not be of replacing Rahul but supplementing him in running the party.
Meanwhile, rubbishing all such reports, Priyanka Gandhi said that such reports are `conjecture` and `baseless rumours`.
She reportedly said, "Not joining politics. This constant conjecture and the manner in which the issue is brought up at opportune moments is incorrect."
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'