Congress flays BJP for suggesting Amitabh as CWG ambassador
New Delhi: Attacking the BJP for suggesting
Amitabh Bachchan`s name as brand ambassador of Commonwealth
Games, Congress on Monday said the party has a habit of "fishing
in troubled waters".
A day after senior BJP leader and Indian Olympic
Association`s senior vice-president Vijay Kumar Malhotra
suggested Bachchan`s name as the main brand ambassador for the
Commonwealth Games, Congress leader Ambika Soni said, "BJP
has a habit of fishing in troubled waters. Without any
background they have to interfere in each and every matter. I
don`t want to comment on this statement any further.
“On a daily basis, BJP raises some issue and we cannot
spend time on reacting to each and every statement of theirs," she added.
Malhotra, in a letter to IOA president and Organising
Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi, had said that given
Bachchan`s credentials and star status, the film icon is
best fit for the post.
Congress` stringent reaction to Malhotra`s proposal can
be seen directly in the light of the awkward situation the
party found itself in, when Bachchan and Maharashtra Chief
Minister Ashok Chavan were seen sharing a common platform
during a function of the Bandra-Worli Sea Link in Mumbai last
Chavan had later tried to clarify that he was not aware
that Bachchan was invited for the inauguration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16