Congress flays BJP for suggesting Amitabh as CWG ambassador
New Delhi: Attacking the BJP for suggesting
Amitabh Bachchan`s name as brand ambassador of Commonwealth
Games, Congress on Monday said the party has a habit of "fishing
in troubled waters".
A day after senior BJP leader and Indian Olympic
Association`s senior vice-president Vijay Kumar Malhotra
suggested Bachchan`s name as the main brand ambassador for the
Commonwealth Games, Congress leader Ambika Soni said, "BJP
has a habit of fishing in troubled waters. Without any
background they have to interfere in each and every matter. I
don`t want to comment on this statement any further.
“On a daily basis, BJP raises some issue and we cannot
spend time on reacting to each and every statement of theirs," she added.
Malhotra, in a letter to IOA president and Organising
Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi, had said that given
Bachchan`s credentials and star status, the film icon is
best fit for the post.
Congress` stringent reaction to Malhotra`s proposal can
be seen directly in the light of the awkward situation the
party found itself in, when Bachchan and Maharashtra Chief
Minister Ashok Chavan were seen sharing a common platform
during a function of the Bandra-Worli Sea Link in Mumbai last
Chavan had later tried to clarify that he was not aware
that Bachchan was invited for the inauguration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill