Congress flays BJP Govt on Cauvery issue
Bangalore: The opposition Congress on Wednesday criticised the BJP government over its handling of Cauvery row with Tamil Nadu, saying it should not have agreed to release 10,000 cusecs daily and also should have fought its case at the Cauvery River Authority meet instead of walking out.
A general body meeting of the Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee, in a resolution, however, decided to stand-by the government`s resolve not to release water to Tamil Nadu in view of the severe drought situation and insufficient rainfall, KPCC President G Parameshwara told reporters here.
He charged the state government with completely failing to put up its case properly before the Supreme Court as also at the September 19 meeting of CRA, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"Instead of staging a walk-out, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar should have fought the state`s case at the CRA meeting", he said.
Referring to the release of 10,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu from September 12 to 20 following Karnataka`s goodwill gesture offer made before the Supreme Court, Paramaeshwara said the state should not have agreed for it in the first place.
He alleged the stage government was trying to politicise the issue by seeking to blame the Prime Minister, after the Singh-chaired CRA directed Karnataka to release 9,000 cusecs of water daily to Tamil Nadu till October 15.
Parameshwara suggested to State government to again file a petition before the CRA to review the direction, and reiterated that a special session of the legislature be convened to discuss the Cauvery issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in