Congress flays BJP Govt on Cauvery issue
Bangalore: The opposition Congress on Wednesday criticised the BJP government over its handling of Cauvery row with Tamil Nadu, saying it should not have agreed to release 10,000 cusecs daily and also should have fought its case at the Cauvery River Authority meet instead of walking out.
A general body meeting of the Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee, in a resolution, however, decided to stand-by the government`s resolve not to release water to Tamil Nadu in view of the severe drought situation and insufficient rainfall, KPCC President G Parameshwara told reporters here.
He charged the state government with completely failing to put up its case properly before the Supreme Court as also at the September 19 meeting of CRA, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"Instead of staging a walk-out, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar should have fought the state`s case at the CRA meeting", he said.
Referring to the release of 10,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu from September 12 to 20 following Karnataka`s goodwill gesture offer made before the Supreme Court, Paramaeshwara said the state should not have agreed for it in the first place.
He alleged the stage government was trying to politicise the issue by seeking to blame the Prime Minister, after the Singh-chaired CRA directed Karnataka to release 9,000 cusecs of water daily to Tamil Nadu till October 15.
Parameshwara suggested to State government to again file a petition before the CRA to review the direction, and reiterated that a special session of the legislature be convened to discuss the Cauvery issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?