Congress flays BJP Govt on Cauvery issue
Bangalore: The opposition Congress on Wednesday criticised the BJP government over its handling of Cauvery row with Tamil Nadu, saying it should not have agreed to release 10,000 cusecs daily and also should have fought its case at the Cauvery River Authority meet instead of walking out.
A general body meeting of the Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee, in a resolution, however, decided to stand-by the government`s resolve not to release water to Tamil Nadu in view of the severe drought situation and insufficient rainfall, KPCC President G Parameshwara told reporters here.
He charged the state government with completely failing to put up its case properly before the Supreme Court as also at the September 19 meeting of CRA, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"Instead of staging a walk-out, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar should have fought the state`s case at the CRA meeting", he said.
Referring to the release of 10,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu from September 12 to 20 following Karnataka`s goodwill gesture offer made before the Supreme Court, Paramaeshwara said the state should not have agreed for it in the first place.
He alleged the stage government was trying to politicise the issue by seeking to blame the Prime Minister, after the Singh-chaired CRA directed Karnataka to release 9,000 cusecs of water daily to Tamil Nadu till October 15.
Parameshwara suggested to State government to again file a petition before the CRA to review the direction, and reiterated that a special session of the legislature be convened to discuss the Cauvery issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog