Congress forms three media units to counter Opposition attack
New Delhi: Facing the Opposition onslaught on social media, Congress has chalked out a comprehensive strategy to bolster its presence on both conventional and cyber media ahead of the next Lok Sabha elections.
The party has set up three special units, including a high-level seven-member team, to formulate its political strategy and response on key issues.
The move comes in the backdrop of Congress leader Rahul Gandhi repeatedly expressing his keenness to get the party that cutting edge, which helps in responding effectively to the Opposition`s sustained media campaigns against it.
As per the `Process Manual for News Response Team` circulated among select party leaders, three separate units are to be formed for tracking news and conducting research for content, formulating political strategy and communicating the party`s stand.
The objective is to formalise the process for formulating and communicating the official response from the Congress party on critical issues, policy matters or events.
Of this, the main body called Media Response Group, which will formulate political response defining the party line for any events and policy, will have the Political Secretary to the Congress President, the Chairman Media Committee, the I&B Minister, the MoS (PMO) as its members besides the in-charges for Research Team and Social Media.
Currently, party spokesperson Sandeep Dikshit heads the Research Team while Deepender Hooda heads the one on social media.
The presence of at least three listed members is necessary for any meeting of the group, which will seek inputs on key issues, as and when required, from the Congress President, the Prime Minister and the party Vice- President.
It will assess and debate inputs received, decide on the party line and will update party spokespersons and social media managers on the party stand.
The unit will have a formal meeting every week to review the media reports of the bygone week and set the agenda for the coming week. They, will, however interact daily either in person or otherwise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened