Congress hails Mamata budget
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday hailed the
railway budget saying the party in particular welcomes Mamata
Banerjee`s decision not to increase passenger fares.
"We welcome the Railway budget. In this seventh
successive railway budget under UPA I and UPA II, there has
been no hike in passenger fares or even in freight. Both the
UPA governments need to be congratulated for that," party
spokesperson Shakeel Ahmed told reporters here.
He also appreciated Banerjee for emphasising on social
sectors in her budget.
Asked whether the party is distancing itself from the
white paper issued by Banerjee during the first budget of UPA
II, which was seen as snubbing the high success claims of the
UPA I`s Railway Minister Lalu Prasad, Ahmed said, "we have
only welcomed the non-increase of fare during UPA I and UPA
II. The inside statistics can be explained only by the
minister and the former minister."
Ahmed evaded a direct reply when asked whether
Banerjee has ignored a missive by the Prime Minister`s
Economic Advisory Committee, which reportedly advised for a
hike in passenger fare. "What transpired between the PMO and
the minister concerned is a matter between them," he said.
Asked whether the moratorium on price rise is
continuing due to the upcoming West Bengal Assembly elections,
where the Congress-Trinamool Congress alliance hopes to win
elections saying the "the moratorium is there for last seven
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference