Congress has no authority to seek a probe into snooping case: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday rejected Congress` demand for a probe into the illegal snooping case allegedly ordered by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, saying the ruling party has "no authority" to ask for it as the woman has not lodged any complaint in the matter.
Questioning the authenticity of the taped conversation purportedly between former Gujarat State Home Minister Amit Shah, considered close to Modi, and IPS officer G L Singhal, BJP Deputy Leader in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad said even web portal Cobrapost, which made the audio CD public, has not vouched for it.
"Congress` talk of a probe is all non-sense. Law and order is a state subject. Has the woman complained about the matter? Her father has issued a statement saying he had asked for security for her. With what authority is Congress and Government of India asking for a probe? Prasad said.
He reiterated the party stand that the "dirty tricks department" of Congress is behind the issue and sought to know how Cobrapost got possession of the tapes which Singhal had handed over to CBI much earlier.
"There has been a quid pro quo between CBI and Singhal. After this trade-off, Singhal was given bail," Prasad said. CBI had not objected to the bail application of Singhal in the Sohrabuddin encounter killing case.
BJP alleged IAS officer Pradeep Sharma of Gujarat cadre had taken this issue to the Supreme Court in which his counsel Colin Gonsalves had said on May 12, 2011 that "neither he nor the petitioner has any intent to make the faintest allegation of any personal impropriety against the Chief Minister".
Prasad claimed Sharma had taken back all charges against Modi and wondered why the same allegations, "which were rejected by the Supreme Court", are now being raked up.
Terming the charges against Modi as "baseless", BJP claimed Congress "is engaging in such activities as it is frustrated in the face of certain defeat".
"People had walked out of Rahul Gandhi`s rally yesterday. I can understand Congress` frustration," Prasad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe