Congress has the resilience to bounce back: Digvijay Singh
Bhopal: Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh said here on Monday that he was disappointed with results of the recently concluded Assembly elections held in four states.
"Congress has the resilience to bounce back and we shall," the Congress General Secretary said in a tweet.
Congratulating Raman Singh, Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Vasundhara Raje, Digvijay said it was their victory and they should not allow anyone else to take the credit.
He also congratulated Arvind Kejriwal who had the courage to get into electoral politics and succeed.
"Politics is not all that bad," he said, adding that, he would like to suggest to all those who sit and criticise politicians to come out and get into the electoral politics and join a party which appeals to them.
"Congress has just lost connect with the people. We have
to re-establish it," he said. The Congress leader, however, recalled that the party was written off in 2004 and 2009 polls as well but it had surprised political pundits by capturing power at the Centre both times.
"It (rejecting Congress) is the mood of the people in state polls... Don`t write us off," he said, adding that the rout in states was probably because the party did not have credible leadership there.
He also took a dig at Cabinet Minister Sharad Pawar for his statement that the weak leadership in Delhi was the reason behind the poor show of Congress.
"Pawar is a member of Cabinet not Congress. He has been in Dr Manmohan Singh`s ministry for 10 years. He must know what he was in for all these years," he said.
When asked if the poor performance of Manmohan Singh`s government was behind the party`s debacle in Delhi polls, where incumbent Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit lost and Congress was reduced to eight seats, he said the Centre`s poor response in the December 16 gang-rape may have played a role.
"The government should have acted more decisively in the gang-rape case," he said, while asserting that Dikshit ran a good government for 15 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Delhi L-G Najeeb Jung refuses AAP govt’s proposed app-based premium bus service scheme
- Final phase of Q4 results, progress of monsoon to guide market
- Attention tax evaders: From June 1, declare black money and come clean or else....
- Saqib Saleem all praises for Radhika Apte's 'knockout performance' in 'Phobia'!
- Arjun Rampal captures priceless moments from 'Kahaani 2'! – View pics