Congress hits back at MIM over communal charge
Hyderabad: Two days after Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) withdrew support to the Congress government in Andhra Pradesh, the ruling party on Wednesday hit back by condemning the allegations that it has joined hands with communal forces.
The Congress demanded the MIM to withdraw the "baseless" allegations and hoped it would reconsider its decision on support to the state government.
Addressing a press conference Wednesday, state Congress chief Botsa Satyanarayana said it was improper on the part of the MIM to level such allegations while withdrawing support to the government.
Claiming that the Congress alone could protect secularism, Satyanarayana found fault with the MIM for using a minor and sensitive issue to target the government headed by Kiran Kumar Reddy.
The MIM, which has seven members in the 295-member assembly, Monday withdrew support after a canopy was allowed to be erected at a temple abutting the historic Charminar.
Defending the government`s action, Botsa said it was allowed only to implement the court order to maintain status quo as on Oct 30.
Listing out the measures taken by the Congress government for welfare of Muslims, including reservation in jobs and education, scholarship to students, and increase in budget allocation for minorities from Rs 30 crore to Rs 500 crore, the Congress state chief wondered how his party suddenly became "communal" for the MIM.
"What wrong has the Congress done to minorities or to MIM?" asked Botsa, who is also a cabinet minister.
He claimed that whenever communal riots took place, the government acted swiftly to control the situation and paid compensation to the victims.
Referring to MIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi`s remark that Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy was his friend and YSR Congress Party chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy is his friend, Botsa said it was obvious why the MIM took the decision to pull back support.
"While MIM is free to choose its ally, it is not proper on its part to accuse the Congress of colluding with the BJP or other communal forces," he said.
Former minister Mohammed Ali Shabbir took strong exception to Owaisi`s statement that the Congress would be wiped out.
"No power can eliminate Congress party," Shabbir said and reminded Owaisi that the MIM candidate got the post of the Greater Hyderabad mayor thanks to the reservation provided to the Muslims by the Congress state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly