Congress hits back at Modi over Sardar Sarovar canal work
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress today hit back at Chief Minister Narendra Modi, hours after he slammed the Prime Minister over the issue of Sardar Sarovar dam.
The main Opposition party said Modi`s government had failed in the last 12 years to complete the canal network to take the dam water to the end beneficiaries.
"The Gujarat government has not completed the pending 70 per cent of canal work to take the Sardar Sarovar dam project to the farmers since he came to power in 2001," Congress spokesperson Manish Doshi said.
"As the canal work was not completed in time, the people of the state are devoid of drinking and irrigation waters," Doshi said.
The water accumulated in the dam cannot be taken to the end users due to absence of a canal network, he said.
"The Chief Minister, before the 2012 state elections, had announced a project to fill up all the dams of Saurashtra region within 2 years. But this has not happened yet."
"The Chief Minister is playing politics on the issue of Sardar Sarovar project and water," Doshi alleged.
Earlier in the day, Modi attacked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over alleged delay in granting approval for installation of gates at Sardar Sarovar dam.
"I congratulate Gujarat Congress leaders, who met Prime Minister on this issue. My question (to PM) is even if you don`t want to listen to me, listen to them (your leaders). At least, listen to your party leaders," Modi said while addressing farmers in Kagvad village of Saurashtra.
"I urge PM and Gujarat Congress leaders to leave politics aside and give us permission to install gates on Sardar Sarovar dam. For five years, this work has been pending," he said, criticising the PM for being slow in decision-making.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note