Congress is a national revolution: Sonia Gandhi
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Monday described the emergence of her party as a national revolution.
Addressing party workers on the occasion of the 125th anniversary celebration of the Congress party here, Gandhi said the Congress which led the country to Independence from British colonial rule always stood for secular values.
“The party has always promoted secularism through a consensual approach and has stood for the protection of rights of the poor,” Gandhi said.
She added that the party has also played a major role in laying the foundation of modern India.
Earlier, speaking at the foundation stone-laying ceremony of the new Congress party headquarters, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said the focus of his government is and would continue to be the welfare of the poor and the protection of human rights.
“Economic stability has also been the focus area of the party and it is our endeavour to fulfil the dreams of Rajiv Gandhi in the 21st century,” he said.
The Congress has drawn up elaborate programmes for the year long celebrations. Units at the block, district and state levels have been asked to hold special functions to galvanise the cadre and rekindle the spirit of the Congress.
The achievements of the party in the social, economic and cultural fields and at the international level since independence and its vision for the future will be projected through various media across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'