Congress issues whip to Lok Sabha MPs
New Delhi: In a bid to ensure that the Finance Bill is passed without any hitch, the Congress has issued a whip to all its MPs to be present for seven days of the Lok Sabha proceedings starting April 20.
According to sources, Congress` chief whip Paban Singh Ghatowar issued a three-line whip Friday.
The government is apprehensive that the journey of the finance bill may not be smooth this time when it is presented April 22.
The Samajwadi Party and the Rashtriya Janata Dal, which had announced withdrawal of support to the government over the Women`s Reservation Bill last month, have threatened to join the opposition in bringing a cut motion on budget proposals demanding a rollback in prices of petrol, diesel and fertilisers.
Both, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Left parties have already announced that they will introduce cut motions in parliament on budget proposals.
When budget proposals are presented before parliament for approval, an MP can question a budgetary allocation in the form of a cut motion. If that is implemented, it amounts to a vote of no confidence in the government, which is then obliged to quit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail