Congress issues whip to Lok Sabha MPs
New Delhi: In a bid to ensure that the Finance Bill is passed without any hitch, the Congress has issued a whip to all its MPs to be present for seven days of the Lok Sabha proceedings starting April 20.
According to sources, Congress` chief whip Paban Singh Ghatowar issued a three-line whip Friday.
The government is apprehensive that the journey of the finance bill may not be smooth this time when it is presented April 22.
The Samajwadi Party and the Rashtriya Janata Dal, which had announced withdrawal of support to the government over the Women`s Reservation Bill last month, have threatened to join the opposition in bringing a cut motion on budget proposals demanding a rollback in prices of petrol, diesel and fertilisers.
Both, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Left parties have already announced that they will introduce cut motions in parliament on budget proposals.
When budget proposals are presented before parliament for approval, an MP can question a budgetary allocation in the form of a cut motion. If that is implemented, it amounts to a vote of no confidence in the government, which is then obliged to quit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered