Congress justifies suspension of two office bearers in UP
New Delhi: Congress today justified the suspension of its two office bearers in Uttar Pradesh who had put up controversial hoardings declaring party president Sonia Gandhi as ill and exhorting her daughter Priyanka Gandhi Vadra to contest upcoming elections.
"Whatever they have done is very wrong. The hoarding has been interpreted as the Congress president is terminally ill," party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhury said, adding, suspension of the workers is the "party`s internal matter".
At the same time, the party found nothing wrong in the demand to bring Priyanka into active politics.
"There will always be a demand to bring Priyanka Gandhi in the front as there was a demand to bring Rahul Gandhi to the forefront," Chowdhury said.
She, however, refused to answer queries whether it meant that Priyanka will also ultimately join active politics like party vice president Rahul Gandhi saying "it is our internal matter."
The Congress spokesperson also rejected contentions of any parallel between Rahul talking about his mother`s illness at a rally in Madhya Pradesh today and the hoardings which were put up in Allahabad.
The poster had stated that Sonia Gandhi is unwell, Rahul is overburdened and exhorted Priyanka to contest polls from Phoolpur constituency to help the party to return to power for the third time.
The hoardings ostensibly referred to Congress president`s occasional trips to the US for medical treatment.
Talking about the government considering a proposal to rename the public distribution system after Indira Gandhi to prevent Opposition parties from taking credit for implementing the National Food Security Act, Chowdhury said that "it is a popular demand, which is being discussed."
Meanwhile, a senior leader, on condition of anonymity, refused to rule out the possibility of Priyanka contesting the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre