Congress leaders discusses Telangana issue
New Delhi: Amid speculation that a decision on Telangana issue is expected soon, Congress top brass including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party president Sonia Gandhi held deliberations Friday evening.
While the meet discussed Telangana, there was no decision, party sources said adding that the issue of forming a coalition government with JMM in Jharkhand also came up.
With Lok Sabha as well as Assembly polls in Andhra Pradesh not far away, the party is under increasing pressure from its Telangana leaders to take a decision on the separate statehood issue. The state is divided on regional lines in the matter.
A part of Andhra Pradesh, the Telangana region has seen frequent agitation in the last four years and many party leaders believe that any more delay would harm Congress` prospects in the electorally crucial state.
Congress had achieved spectacular successes in the state in last two Lok Sabha elections and its rich tally proved crucial to the party forming successive governments at the Centre.
In Jharkhand, Congress has already decided to join hands with Shibu Soren-led Jharkhand Mukti Morcha to form a government.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde were also present in the meeting held at Singh`s residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read