Congress leaders should focus on Uttarakhand instead of Modi: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday criticised Congress for making political statements over the Uttarakhand tragedy, saying the ruling party`s leaders in the state and the Centre should instead focus on relief and rescue operations.
On Narendra Modi`s criticism by some Congress leaders, BJP spokesman Srikant Sharma said Gujarat is sensitive to such tragedies as it has suffered and dealt with in the past.
"The Congress is suffering from NaMonia and instead of making statements against the BJP leaders, they should focus on relief work and rescue thousands of those stranded in the tragedy-struck state," Sharma said.
Twenty-five Gujarat officers are currently involved in rescue and relief operations in Uttarakhand and control room have been set up in Haridwar and Dehradun, he said.
They have already rescued many of those stranded there, he said.
Sharma said the Gujarat Chief Minister has written to the Railway Minister for increasing numbers of trains and bogies in order to facilitate fast evacuation of the affected people.
"Our purpose is not to indulge in politics, but just help the Uttarakhand government," he said, referring to the decision by party chief Rajnath Singh to postpone the BJP`s proposed nationwide `Jail Bharo Andolan`.
He said Singh has also directed partymen across the country to concentrate on relief of the flood victims in Uttarakhand instead of focusing on the agitation, which was to take place between June 17 and 30.
Earlier in the day, Congress targeted Modi and dismissed reports that he had helped in evacuating 15,000 stranded people from Uttarakhand in two days.
The party also accused Modi of milking the tragedy in Uttarakhand for political mileage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video