Congress, Left attack Narendra Modi over stalking issue
New Delhi: An expose of the alleged "state-sponsored stalking" of a young woman in Gujarat prompted the Congress and the Left Saturday to attack the BJP and its prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
Even as the BJP blamed the Congress` "dirty tricks wing", the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) demanded a court investigation into the issue.
"What was Modi`s interest in the matter? In a case involving the chief minister, it would be appropriate for a court investigation into Modi`s involvement and if found to be involved, he must be prosecuted," a CPI-M release said.
The CPI-M also said the Gujarat government must take immediate action against Shah and the police officers for violating the Indian Telegraph Act.
"They also have to be prosecuted for the crime of stalking under the recently amended provisions of the IPC related to crimes against women," the party said.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari demanded a thorough probe into the expose by investigative websites Cobrapost and Gulail.com, and said Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh should explain.
Rajnath Singh was quick to respond in Raipur: "There is no question of rethinking on our PM candidate even if (there are) a thousand baseless allegations. We apprehend that the Congress` dirty tricks wing will make such allegations... as the elections draw near."
Attacking Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi without naming him, Tewari said in an address during an event that "the dark clouds of fascism" hung over Gujarat, and "a great evil stalks" the land.
The remarks came following allegations of "state-sponsored stalking" in Gujarat on the orders of former minister Amit Shah, who did it for his "saheb".
Tewari warned that people should seriously ponder over the events in Gujarat under Modi, including the 2002 riots, the fake encounters and the state-sponsored stalking.
According to the expose, the woman`s movements and her conversations were being covered by the Gujarat "state Intelligence Bureau, the Crime Branch and the Anti-Terrorist Squad in August 2009 on oral orders, without any valid legal authorisation, and was meant only to serve the interests of someone whom the then minister of state for home, Amit Shah, addressed as `saheb`."
Congress leader Digvijaya Singh, who never lets go an opportunity to attack Modi, tweeted: "Would All Modi lovers pl react and condemn it or as a true loyalist defend Modi and Amit Shah."
"Modi and Amit Shah use Gujarat Police to spy on an innocent girl! Didn`t Gujarat Police and then Home Minister violate the Law of the Land?", he tweeted.
Congress spokesman Meem Afzal demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry into the allegations.
Afzal said Amit Shah should reveal the name of the "saheb" for whom he asked police and state intelligence to tail a young woman 2009 in Bangalore.
He also said that Amit Shah, who was then minister of state for home, should explain why saheb was "so much interested" in the woman.
However, Pranlal Soni, father of the woman, came out with a statement saying he had himself requested Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to "look after" his daughter. The father`s statement, for the first time, links the controversy to Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly