Congress meet fails to address real issues: BJP
New Delhi: As the Congress began its brainstorming session in Jaipur on Friday, the BJP said the ruling party has failed to address real issues and its leaders were not confident of returning to power after the 2014 general elections.
"Introspection is good for any party but (Congress president) Sonia Gandhi`s speech gives an indication that the Congress is missing the opportunity of an honest review. She has failed to admit that the government lacks integrity," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
"For a moment I felt it was a `Chinta Shivir` (worry meet) rather than `Chintan Shivir` (brainstorming meet)," Sitharaman said.
Sitharaman said the Congress president failed to address important issues such as price rise and corruption, about which people were concerned.
The party was merely doing lip service, she said.
"Reducing price rise was on their (Congress`) 100-days agenda. What happened? They reward the corrupt. They are talking about women empowerment. But the husband of a Congress MLA in Rajasthan, accused in a rape case, is absconding," she said.
Jaleesh Khan, the husband of Congress legislator Jahida Khan, who was accused of raping a woman two years ago, has been declared a absconder by a Rajasthan court.
On reports of Congress looking for new allies, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) called it a "failure" and said the party was looking for new allies since it was not confident of winning again.
"For a national party prior to an election year, to start a review saying they may not be able to come back to power on their own is very good for the opposition party," Sitharaman said.
"For a party that has claimed it has given excellent growth, being in power today and going for an election as incumbent government, to say it might be difficult, I think it’s more of admission of failure, rather than a realistic assessment of what coalition politics is moving towards," Sitharaman said.
Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh was quoted by a TV news channel saying the party might not be able to come back to power on its own in the next general elections.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid told reporters: "We`re here to see we get the numbers and get our government in power".
Sitharaman also said the party did not know how to handle coalition.
"Congress does not know how to treat allies. Their alliance partners are coming out in the open and complaining against their decisions," Sitharaman said.
The Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) is on a weak foot since key ally Trinamool Congress, which has 19 Lok Sabha members. It is surviving on outside support of Samajwadi Party, and Bahujan Samaj Party which have 22 and 21 Lok Sabha members respectively.
Sitharaman said there was no chance for Congress to win in 2014 Lok Sabha polls as the mood in the country was totally "anti-Congress".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly