Congress misusing CBI to target Narendra Modi: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday alleged that the Congress -led UPA government was misusing CBI to implicate and target the party`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in a bid to divert attention away from its failures and the scams and corruption cases against it.
"UPA government and Congress are rattled and baffled by the announcement of Modi as BJP`s prime ministerial candidate ... It is using CBI to target him and divert attention away from its failures," senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu told reporters here.
He alleged that the government was using CBI and other central agencies like the Enforcement Directorate as well as the governors in BJP ruled states to target his party leaders and chief ministers.
"Having failed on all fronts, the government is using and misusing the CBI to implicate Modi," Naidu said.
BJP maintained that CBI went fast or slow in a particular case according to directions from its political masters. He referred to the clean chit given to BSP Chief Mayawati in a disproportionate assets case and earlier, in a similar case, to SP Chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Citing the Ishrat Jahan encounter case, the BJP leader sought to know how she could be called innocent when she was accompanying terrorists, two of whom were from Pakistan. "LeT had called them martyrs," he said.
Naidu said the affidavit in the case was changed after a new Home Minister had taken over.
"Congress General Secretary Madhusudan Mistry has said that Modi will be the next person to be named in the CBI charge sheet. How does a Congress General Secretary know this? Are they working in tandem?" Naidu said.
He charged that Congress was resorting to such tactics as it did not have the courage to face Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir