Congress MLAs shamed democracy: BJP
New Delhi: Criticising the behaviour of
Congress MLAs who along with other Opposition members created
unruly scenes in Bihar Assembly, the BJP today said they had
"shamed democracy and tarnished the image of the state".
"No criticism is enough for the manner in which Congress
has shamed parliamentary democracy from Karnataka to Bihar...
The image of Bihar, which was sullied for 15 years earlier
(during RJD rule under Lalu Prasad), has been tarnished
again," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
67 Opposition MLAs in Bihar were today suspended for
unruly behaviour and marshalled out as utter chaos prevailed
inside and outside the Assembly.
Yesterday, several Opposition members in both the state
Assembly and Council overturned desks and chairs, broke
microphones and virtually came to blows with ruling alliance
MLAs and MLCs. 14 Opposition MLCs were then suspended.
The Bhagalpur MP alleged that the CAG report, which
caused the Opposition uproar, had highlighted financial
irregularities under the Chief Ministership of RJD leader
Rabri Devi and Governorship of Buta Singh (former Congress
"Due to this both the Congress and RJD were fearing the
CAG report (and hence caused this uproar). But nobody expected
such a reaction from them," Hussain said.
The CAG report claimed that there were financial
irregularities worth Rs 11,412 crore in Bihar in execution of
development and welfare schemes between 2002-03 and 2007-08.
BJP targetted the Congress as the latter had also stalled
assembly proceedings in Karnataka last week alleging
corruption in the B S Yeddyurappa government over illegal
mining. Congress MLAs wanted the Reddy brothers to step down
in the wake of the allegations.
"This event (in Bihar) has exposed the Congress. The
behaviour of these MLAs is unprecedented. The government had
agreed to a discussion but since they feared getting exposed
if a debate took place, they caused this disruption," Hussain
He sought an explanation from Congress, RJD and LJP for
their behaviour in the Bihar Assembly and Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'