Congress MP from Telangana threatens to quit
Hyderabad: A Congress MP from Telangana in Andhra Pradesh Sunday warned that he would quit the party unless it gave a categorical assurance on separate statehood to the region.
Manda Jagannatham, MP from Nagarkurnool, told reporters that Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) has invited him to join the party. He said he along with other MPs from the region would meet in a day or two to take a decision.
He, however, exuded confidence that Congress would soon take a decision on a separate Telangana state, to be carved out of Andhra Pradesh.
Jagannatham along with state minister K. Jana Reddy called on party leader K. Keshava Rao here Sunday.
The meeting assumed significance in the wake of speculations that some MPs may join TRS. Jana Reddy said he had no knowledge of Jagannatham`s decision to quit the party.
Jagannatham also clarified that his meeting with TRS chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao Saturday was only a courtesy call.
Meanwhile, another Congress MP, G. Vivek Sunday, said he would remain within the party. He told reporters in Karimnagar that he would fight for Telangana by staying within the party.
There is intense speculation that Jagannatham along with two other MPs Vivek and S. Rajaiah may join TRS.
As many as seven Congress MPs from the region have been demanding the central leadership to take a decision on a separate Telangana state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi