Congress MP from Telangana threatens to quit
Hyderabad: A Congress MP from Telangana in Andhra Pradesh Sunday warned that he would quit the party unless it gave a categorical assurance on separate statehood to the region.
Manda Jagannatham, MP from Nagarkurnool, told reporters that Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) has invited him to join the party. He said he along with other MPs from the region would meet in a day or two to take a decision.
He, however, exuded confidence that Congress would soon take a decision on a separate Telangana state, to be carved out of Andhra Pradesh.
Jagannatham along with state minister K. Jana Reddy called on party leader K. Keshava Rao here Sunday.
The meeting assumed significance in the wake of speculations that some MPs may join TRS. Jana Reddy said he had no knowledge of Jagannatham`s decision to quit the party.
Jagannatham also clarified that his meeting with TRS chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao Saturday was only a courtesy call.
Meanwhile, another Congress MP, G. Vivek Sunday, said he would remain within the party. He told reporters in Karimnagar that he would fight for Telangana by staying within the party.
There is intense speculation that Jagannatham along with two other MPs Vivek and S. Rajaiah may join TRS.
As many as seven Congress MPs from the region have been demanding the central leadership to take a decision on a separate Telangana state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan