Congress needs to change; process has begun: Rahul Gandhi
Guwahati: Rahul Gandhi Tuesday said there was a need to bring a change in the Congress and the process has begun.
"There is a need to bring change in the party and we will do it fast. The first step in this direction is to make the selection of candidates from among the people," Gandhi said in a rally at the Assam Veterinary Field here.
The Congress Vice President said the party has initiated the selection of candidates through primaries in some constituencies of the country with Guwahati being one of them.
"Soon the process would be extended to more and more constituencies. In future, I want all candidates of the party to be elected through elections.
"Anybody can aspire to contest the elections within the party and so people from all sections can be part of the selection process," Gandhi said.
He stressed that the party needs to give more power to the people, particularly to women.
"I want to empower women. Here at the rally, I am seeing more men than women but in future, I want to see more or equal women in future. In the next five years, we will strive for 50 per cent representation for women in Parliament and all assemblies," he said.
As supporters raised slogans of `BJP murdabad`, he said, "Do not use the word murdabad, unhe gussa karne dijiye, Congress pyar ka party hai (Let them be angry, Congress is a party of love).
"Congress sirf ek party nahi hai, ek soch hai (Congress is not merely a party, but a thought). It is like a vase where there is place for everybody," he said.
The Congress believed that it was the people and not the leaders who were taking the country toward progress and development for the last 70 years and would continue to do so in the future, Gandhi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed