Congress not against formation of Telangana: Chacko
New Delhi: Amid mounting pressure, Congress on Wednesday said it was not against formation of Telangana, signalling that a decision on the vexed issue of a separate state has been put on the fast-track.
"Congress is not against the formation of Telangana state. We are in the process of taking a decision but then formalities have to be completed," party spokesperson PC Chacko told reporters here.
His remarks came as Congress MPs from Telangana awaited an appointment with party chief Sonia Gandhi for submitting their resignation to press for an early creation of a separate state.
Chacko`s initial response was that the party`s position on Telangana is well known and that "it`s only a question of time" when the decision will be announced.
Asked specifically whether he meant to say a separate state of Telangana will be announced and it is just a matter of time now, the Congress spokesperson responded by saying, "You are right. We have taken a position. Our party position is very clear. But whatever decision has to be taken has to fulfill some constitutional obligations."
As reporters flooded Chacko with queries on whether his remarks meant he was saying that Congress supports a separate state, Chacko hastened to clarify that his only submission was that the party was "not against Telangana".
At the same time, he insisted that some formalities have to be completed on the Telangana issue.
A senior Congress leader, who declined to be identified, said that it was not a "yes or no" matter and that there are many related issues like deciding the location of Hyderabad and obtaining an Andhra Pradesh Assembly resolution.
Chacko`s remarks are significant as they have come at a time when the Budget Session of Parliament was less than a month away and the party needs to keep its flock together in the last year of UPA II.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre