Congress playing `opportunistic politics`: BJP on Telangana fallout
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Friday lashed out at the UPA Government for failing to bring everyone on board with regard to the formation of Telangana as the country`s 29th state, and said the opportunistic Congress is eyeing upon the elections with no commitment for the cause.
"Here, the Congress failed to take their own party into confidence. Their own Chief Minister is a rebel now. Their own Ministers are resigning. This shows utter opportunistic politics Congress does just with the eyes on elections and no commitment for the cause," said BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar.
Javadekar alleged that the ruling Congress party mismanaged the whole situation surrounding the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh.
"The Congress mismanaged the whole situation. They could have done it with more grace, but they failed to do. And therefore, now they will have to pay what they have sown. The whole Seemadhra (region) has become restless. They should have assured them that their concerns will be addressed and still we are creating the state, but they couldn`t do that," he said.
Union Tourism Minister K Chiranjeevi has resigned from his post in protest against the Union Cabinet`s approval of the formation of a separate Telangana state.
According to reports, an upset Chiranjeevi, who hails from Coastal Andhra, faxed his resignation to the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) last night.
The actor-turned-politician, who is expected to meet Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh today to vent his apprehension over the decision, has quit his post to mount pressure on the Congress leadership towards halting the division of Andhra Pradesh.
Three other Union Ministers MM Pallam Raju, K S Rao and Surya Prakash Reddy have also offered to resign.
Moreover, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy has called for an emergency meeting with ministers, MPs, MLCs and MLAs from coastal Andhra and Rayalseema in Hyderabad today to discuss the developments following the nod to formation of Telangana.
The meeting assumes significance as a decision on en masse resignation by ministers and legislators is expected to be taken.
The Cabinet`s decision has caused hectic political activity in Hyderabad.
Andhra Pradesh Ministers and legislators from coastal Andhra and Rayalseema regions have termed the Union Cabinet`s approval of bifurcation of the state a `black day in democracy`.
Soon after the Cabinet approved a plan to create Telangana, Seemandhra - as the coastal and Rayalaseema regions of the state are known - erupted in protest. Schools and colleges in the area are closed. National Highways are being blocked and public transport is off the roads. Buses coming in to and going out of the state have also been affected.
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, who read out the Cabinet statement here last evening, said that a Group of Ministers (GoM) would be constituted to look into various issues between the two states.
He also said that the GoM would work towards ensuring the safety and security of the residents in all the three regions of Coastal Andhra, Rayalseema and Telangana, including the guarantee of their fundamental rights.
Shinde also said that the Group of Ministers would also look at the financial assistance for the state of Andhra Pradesh after the creation of Telangana, and to meet the special needs of the backward region and the district.
The Cabinet resolution would be sent to President Pranab Mukherjee with the recommendation that he refers it to the Andhra Pradesh state legislature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins