Congress plays down Economist article on Rahul Gandhi
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday sought to down play an article appearing in `The Economist` that doubted Rahul Gandhi`s credentials as a politician, saying there was a need for Indians to get liberated from the "spectre of mental colonialism".
"I am always surprised that questions are asked about whatever is written in Washington Post, The Economist, Standard and Poor`s and Moody`s comments on India...We need to free ourselves from the spectre of mental colonialism," party spokesperson Manish Tewari told reporters.
He was replying to questions on the comments in the latest article of The Economist titled `The Rahul Problem`, which starts with question "what is the point of Rahul Gandhi" and says that the Congress`s "prince in waiting has not shown any hunger for the job".
When asked about similar criticism in a book written by journalist Arti Ramchandran, Tewari said he has not read the book.
Asked if that is the case then why did the PMO reacted to an article in the Washington Post on the Prime Minister, Tewari said, "the objection was taken because some eminent people quoted in the article have completely refuted the quotes attributed to them."
The Congress spokesperson said there is a wealth of wisdom in Indian journalists and he would be happy to respond to question about reports written by them instead of responding to anything being published in foreign journals.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference