Congress protecting Bofors middlemen: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday alleged that the CBI and the government were protecting middlemen who had received kickbacks in the Bofors deal and sought a clarification from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi on the matter.
"The Prime Minister and Sonia Gandhi are trying to
protect those middlemen who were involved in the Bofors deal.
The Congress should clarify its stand on the issue," BJP
spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
The principal opposition also hit out at Congress
General Secretary Digvijay Singh for questioning the timing of
the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal verdict.
"Digvijay Singh, who is close to Sonia Gandhi and Rahul
Gandhi is now raising questions about the verdict... Congress
differs from his statement but since he is close to Sonia
Gandhi we consider his comments as that of the Congress. The
party should clarify if his comments are official," Hussain
BJP alleged that the government was unsuccessful on all
fronts and was divided on issues.
In the wake of court directives to the CBI to file a
report on the Bofors issue, the BJP said the investigative
agency has "made every effort to save Ottavio Quattrocchi". He
claimed that the CBI has "destroyed evidence" to protect those
who got kickbacks.
Hussain described the court order today as an
"eye-opener" for the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’