Congress` Rajya Sabha nominations expected to be decided today
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi is expected to take a call on the Congress Rajya Sabha nominations on Saturday.
The party Vice President has convened a meeting of Party General Secretaries today to decide on the issue.
The General Secretaries have been asked to come to the meeting after holding consultations with the PCC Presidents and CLP leaders on the possible candidates.
Former Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit, who created a record of the longest tenure by a woman Chief Minister by being at the helm for 15 years, is likely to be accommodated from either Haryana or Himachal Pradesh.
While there have been reports that local leaders from the two states are aspiring for the nomination, central leaders have been insisting that Haryana and Himachal units have authorised party chief Sonia Gandhi and Rahul to decide the issue.
Due to the dwindling numbers, Congress can have two seats to the upper house from Maharashtra and Assam and one each from Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
With the party`s debacle in Rajasthan in the recent Assembly polls and earlier in Tamil Nadu, the party cannot have even a single member from these states. Former Mahila Congress chief Prabha Thakur and former Union Minister Jayanthi Natarajan are the retiring members from these two states. Union Minister G K Vasan is also among the retiring members.
The talk in Maharashtra is that retiring members Murli Deora and Hussain Dalwai could be renominated and so appears to be the case for party veteran Motilal Vora from Chhattisgarh. Former Chief Minister of Manipur Rishang Keishing is also among the retiring members.
Maharashtra tops the list with the poll to be held for seven RS seats from the state. It is followed by Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh (six each), West Bengal and Bihar (five each), Odisha and Gujarat (four each), Assam, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan (three each), Haryana, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand (two each) and Himachal Pradesh, Manipur and Meghalaya (one each).
The last date for filing nomination for the poll is January 28, scrutiny will be held the next day. The last date for withdrawal of candidature is January 31 and the poll will be held on February 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’