Congress raking up secularism issue to hide failures: BJP
Hyderabad: Congress party and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh are talking about secularism only to cover up their failures in governance and corruption, senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu alleged here on Tuesday.
"Congress rakes up this debate to cover up its failures and corruption. This is a useless debate. People know who is secular and who is not. Those who made Muslim League a part of Union Cabinet, such Prime Minister does not have the right to talk about secularism," Naidu told reporters here.
"Is Muslim League secular? Is MIM secular? Why Congress had an understanding with them? Why Congress and MIM are in power in Hyderabad corporation?" he asked.
Naidu was replying to a query about Prime Minister`s remarks that Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar is secular.
"He (Nitish Kumar) became secular after he parted ways with BJP? Was he not secular earlier?" Naidu said.
"People are not innocent. Talk about development, talk about growth rate, talk about bringing back black money. Prime Minister is not ready to talk about it, because of his own failures," he said.
Referring to Prime Minister`s comments that people know what Narendra Modi stood for, Naidu said the Gujarat Chief Minister stood for dynamism, decisiveness and development, "qualities which are missing in UPA".
Replying to a query about Modi`s scheduled visit to Ayodhya, he said, "It is not back to Hindutva. Our agenda is development, speedy development of the country. He is going to Ayodhya for a programme of Sant Ramachandra Paramhansji. It is there in newspapers. You must have seen. Then, Narendra bhai meeting Advaniji, what is special about it, Advaniji is our leader."
Describing JD(U)`s decision to part ways with BJP as unfortunate and painful, Naidu claimed it is still not clear why they broke the alliance.
"They are not able to make it clear why they broke ties with BJP. Same BJP, same leadership, same agenda. JD(U) leaders were ministers in NDA government. JD(U) leaders praised Gujarat development earlier," he said.
He also quoted a statement purportedly made by Nitish Kumar in praise of Modi earlier. "It is not clear what is the reason. That`s why I feel there is something more than that meets the eye. They have to say what it is. The dismissal of ministers and such actions are not good on their part," he said.
Disagreeing that NDA is weakened following the exit of JD(U), he maintained that BJP is poised to get substantial number of seats in next Lok Sabha elections and that there will be a realignment of political forces.
"I am confident that all those who are against Congress will eventually join hands with BJP," he said.
Dismissing the talk of a third front or the federal front, he wondered how can it be a reality when the supposed constituents do not see eye to eye in their respective states.
He cited the example of TDP, TRS and YSR Congress in Andhra Pradesh, Left and Trinamool Congress in West Bengal, DMK and AIADMK in Tamil Nadu among others.
"Your past record speaks for itself. National Front became a notional front. United Front became a divided front. Third Front, they removed the tent," he said.
Referring to yesterday`s Union Cabinet expansion, he claimed that such cosmetic changes would not help the Congress in the last year of UPA-II.
"Aadhar, they will not get janadhar (public support). They brought in cash transfer, but people are thinking of regime transfer. Through Cabinet expansion, Congress is trying to improve its strength. But, it will not expand the base of Congress," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues