Congress raking up secularism issue to hide failures: BJP
Hyderabad: Congress party and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh are talking about secularism only to cover up their failures in governance and corruption, senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu alleged here on Tuesday.
"Congress rakes up this debate to cover up its failures and corruption. This is a useless debate. People know who is secular and who is not. Those who made Muslim League a part of Union Cabinet, such Prime Minister does not have the right to talk about secularism," Naidu told reporters here.
"Is Muslim League secular? Is MIM secular? Why Congress had an understanding with them? Why Congress and MIM are in power in Hyderabad corporation?" he asked.
Naidu was replying to a query about Prime Minister`s remarks that Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar is secular.
"He (Nitish Kumar) became secular after he parted ways with BJP? Was he not secular earlier?" Naidu said.
"People are not innocent. Talk about development, talk about growth rate, talk about bringing back black money. Prime Minister is not ready to talk about it, because of his own failures," he said.
Referring to Prime Minister`s comments that people know what Narendra Modi stood for, Naidu said the Gujarat Chief Minister stood for dynamism, decisiveness and development, "qualities which are missing in UPA".
Replying to a query about Modi`s scheduled visit to Ayodhya, he said, "It is not back to Hindutva. Our agenda is development, speedy development of the country. He is going to Ayodhya for a programme of Sant Ramachandra Paramhansji. It is there in newspapers. You must have seen. Then, Narendra bhai meeting Advaniji, what is special about it, Advaniji is our leader."
Describing JD(U)`s decision to part ways with BJP as unfortunate and painful, Naidu claimed it is still not clear why they broke the alliance.
"They are not able to make it clear why they broke ties with BJP. Same BJP, same leadership, same agenda. JD(U) leaders were ministers in NDA government. JD(U) leaders praised Gujarat development earlier," he said.
He also quoted a statement purportedly made by Nitish Kumar in praise of Modi earlier. "It is not clear what is the reason. That`s why I feel there is something more than that meets the eye. They have to say what it is. The dismissal of ministers and such actions are not good on their part," he said.
Disagreeing that NDA is weakened following the exit of JD(U), he maintained that BJP is poised to get substantial number of seats in next Lok Sabha elections and that there will be a realignment of political forces.
"I am confident that all those who are against Congress will eventually join hands with BJP," he said.
Dismissing the talk of a third front or the federal front, he wondered how can it be a reality when the supposed constituents do not see eye to eye in their respective states.
He cited the example of TDP, TRS and YSR Congress in Andhra Pradesh, Left and Trinamool Congress in West Bengal, DMK and AIADMK in Tamil Nadu among others.
"Your past record speaks for itself. National Front became a notional front. United Front became a divided front. Third Front, they removed the tent," he said.
Referring to yesterday`s Union Cabinet expansion, he claimed that such cosmetic changes would not help the Congress in the last year of UPA-II.
"Aadhar, they will not get janadhar (public support). They brought in cash transfer, but people are thinking of regime transfer. Through Cabinet expansion, Congress is trying to improve its strength. But, it will not expand the base of Congress," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor